Friday, September 01, 2006

On my way to the train station this morning I walked past about 4 or 5 short yellow buses. Now usually I would take the opportunity to unleash a barrage of inappropriate jokes, and about 30% of the time they would actually be funny. But this morning, I happened to catch the eyes of a boy who couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 years old. He didn't "look" like he belonged on the short yellow bus, but then again he may very well have been misdiagnosed..I really don't know. I just know he had this sad look on his face as he stared at me walking in the rain, staring at him. It just made me sad for some reason. I wonder if he realizes that he is in the "special" class already, and I also wonder if he knows the mental stress that stigma may bring on him in the future. And then I wondered if he really just has a learning disability that hasn't really been properly diagnosed. This is the DC School System after all, so it certainly isn't totally out of the realm of possibility. And then I found myself wondering if this kid got parental support at home, or was he just made to feel stupid and out of place, because he wasn't normal. Of course, the kid just could have been constipated, and all of my ruminations as to what could possibly be on his mind could be way off. I just know I saw sadness in this kid's face, and it made me sad. It also made me miss my son, but I'm not going there right now..not today at least.

It is no longer a shock to see that the US basketball team lost to Greece early this morning in the world championships. Even though they defeated Germany rather decisively just two days prior, the writing was still on the wall. The problems that the NBA is having, have migrated overseas and shown up in international ball. Defense is suspect, and no one can shoot consistently, and a good team can exploit these things, and Greece did just that. The sad part is, Argentina and Spain are better teams than Greece, so I can only imagine what they would have done to the US. All of this should make everyone appreciate the original Dream Team of 1992 that much more. They didn't just win because it was debut of pros in international ball, and they didn't just win because the rest of the world had yet to catch up. That Dream Team won, because they had some of the most talented, fundamentally sound ball players to EVER play. Jordan, Bird, Magic, a slim Barkley, Stockton, Pippen, etc..everyone on that team(except Christian Laettner) either will be or is already in the Hall of Fame. These other teams are just pretenders. In my opinion, the US needs to send an entire team over there like the Miami Heat or the Pistons..teams that are used to playing together already. It'll cut down on the bs tryout and practice time. Just my opinion though.

I'm ending today's entry with a song by Johnny Guitar Watson called "Loving You". It's been in my head, so hopefully one of you will download it, and it'll be in your head too. Here it is: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=AC0170FF12261E18

1 comment:

Jo said...

Rashad, I listened to the song . . .where did you find that? As for the short bus, you had my heart with that one. We so often forget all the other implications around WHY someone might be on the short bus, instead of on the regular one.