Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I need someone to explain to me the historical importance, of having the national anthem and/or God Bless America being sung at American sporting events. It seems a bit redundant if you ask me. At the Olympics, or at any international competition, it certainly makes sense. In that forum, each country is "representing", so a minute of patriotism is encouraged, and for some athletes downright nostalgic I guess. But if I'm watching a baseball game in St Louis, Missouri(pronounced Mizzura), I have not a clue in the world, why I have to watch someone singing God Bless America. I realize that by doing this, I am subjecting myself to the keepers of the Patriot Act, but its how I feel regardless. I remember when I was in high school, and we had to stand for the playing of the national anthem, I used to think about everything but the words..and this was during the Persian Gulf War, so I guess I was doubly wrong. The only thing I DO remember is yelling out "Ohhh", when it got to the line, "O'er the land of the free". Perhaps I have it all wrong here, which is why I really need someone to explain to me the importance of this..and why sporting events? We don't say the national anthem before presidential debates..or before movies, or the Grammys, so why have sports been singled out?

I am again in need of dream interpretation, but this time it is not of the sexual variety. I had a dream that I was playing flag football with all of the guys who work in the barber shop I frequent. I remember I made some good plays here and there, but nothing too spectacular. When the game was over, we all walked away, but as I was walking up the hill(towards what, I do not know), I realized that I didn't have my cell phone. I returned to the field, but everyone was gone, and my cell phone was nowhere to be found. I had no reason to believe anyone had stolen it, but I combed the grass looking for it, and I never did. Perhaps this was another case of the Burger King bandit terrorizing me, but I doubt it. I have no clue what this dream means though.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with Rush Limbaugh, who is outraged that Michael J. Fox is doing ads without taking his medication for Parkinson's disease. I have no doubt that Mr. Fox suffers from the disease, because I saw him when he testified before the Senate, and he looked bad without his medication then. Back then he was testifying to persuade the powers that be to dedicated more time and effort towards stem cell research. However, with this most recent ad, Mr. Fox appeared in an ad for Democratic Senate candidate, Ben Cardin. In this ad, Mr. Fox attempts to convince YOU the voter, that by voting for Ben, stem cell research will improve. While that may be true, you and I both know, that when watching a shifty, off-meds Michael J. Fox(Alex P. Keaton to you older people), your heart strings will be plucked and strummed like Jimi Hendrix was playing them. Maybe Fox didn't know what these spots would be used for when he recorded them, and maybe I'm underestimating how down and dirty political ads can be; or maybe this is Ben Cardin's response to Mike Tyson saying he would support Michael Steele(Cardin's Republican opponent). Whatever it is, I don't like it, and I think its manipulative. I also vow never to agree with Rush again.

I need to get some ass very soon, otherwise these blogs will turn into a written version of the McLaughlin Group Home Report.. Byye Bye!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im a rebel...
I never stand up for the pledge or the singing of the national anthem.

your dream is interesting...
maybe you cant climb the mountain until you make calls or maybe making calls is preventing you from climbing the mountain. Im no dream interpreter tho...

Jo said...

AHHHH - my dear . . .that's an easy one . . .the phone is a form of communication . . .it seems my dear, that you you got sidetracked doing some fun stuff and once the fun ended and the work began (ie. the climb up the mountain), you then realized that you long to communicate with someone (maybe you need them to help you get over the hill or perhaps you believe they can help you in some way . . .maybe you just long for another respite, like some more fun - could this be another game of tag football/sex/a pleasureable moment/relief from worry/a carefree life?), but unfortunately you can't. Sucks not finding your phone, doesn't it? Especially since you looked so long and hard for it. Sounds like you need to evaluate who you are trying to communiate with and what you are trying to communicate to them. On the other hand, putting all the dream interpretation aside, you could have had that dream because you called me last night and were anticipating a good convo ('cause you know I woulda had your ASS crackin' up had we talked) and when I didn't pick up you were devastated because you had so much good juice to share. So, either way you cut it . . .the dream symbolizes three things: 1. FUN; 2. the loss of FUN; and 3. the need to communicate with someone to recover that LOSS. There. Hope that helps. As far as MJ - yeah man, he looked pretty bad.

Jo said...

PS. As far as the barber shop goes. . . do you need a haircut? And do you have lingering fears surrounding death and loss? The last time you dreamed about the barbershop, it was in the context of death and loss of something/someone you highly valued.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rashad,

D'Anya told me about your blog. It's great. You're a really good writer. You should really consider writing a screenplay or a book..seriously.
To answer your question about the national anthem, bottom line: it's tradition.