Friday, October 13, 2006

There are few things in life more frustrating than getting paid, only to watch your money be snatched away by important financial obligations that have accumulated since your last pay day. On days like this, you realize that you have a few options: 1)you can vow to be a bit smarter and get help 2)you can devise a plan to sell an impressive array of drugs 3)get a part-time job 4)get a higher paying job. Given my current situation, option #1 is the best way to go, but I am about to organize a task force to see if we can get option #2 on and cracking. I'm actually making my situation out to be a lot worse than it really is, but I like to play those games with myself as motivation to be more financially responsible.

I saw the movie Boys of Baraka last night, and I was completely unimpressed. The documentary was way too short, and I didn't feel like it really told a good story at all. Of course much of my frustration surrounding this film, probably stemmed from my personal feelings regarding the kids lack of educational development. These kids were getting little support at home, and even less support from the Baltimore School systems, so there was little to no motivation to succeed. From my own brief teaching experience, I should have known this was still a problem, but this documentary just brought all those feelings back. And, in what I found to be an insulting move, the directors of this documentary, felt the need to have captions at the bottom of the screen, despite the fact that these young black boys were speaking English. It gets no more insulting than that..to me at least. One of the reasons my favorite documentary to this day is Hoop Dreams, is that they painted a complete picture. You were able to see both good and bad qualities of the two main characters, and the story was long enough for you to see a complete picture. Boys of Baraka felt thrown together, and I definitely think more could have been done. Whoever heard of 90 minute documentary anyway?

I finally get to see my son tomorrow, but I know better than to hype it up again. I'll be damned if I look like a fool again. The tentative plan is for us to attend the Hampton University/Norfolk State football game, and he actually sounded excited about it. That's all I'll say about that for now. Hopefully I'll have good times to report on Monday.

Oh, and its about 40 degrees out right now, and the weather is making feel like I need some. In order, I would like: 1)Some caramel apple cider from Starbucks 2)15 straight minutes of oral sex from Muff(an inside joke) 3)a deep massage from Nia Long and Scarlett Johansson, and 4)a striptease from Mya. I hate to talk about these types of things right after I mention visiting my son, but such is life my friends.

1 comment:

Jo said...

#2 is definitely the best option for your financial state - or at least that is what I would have to opt for . . .as for the hype surrounding your son this weekend, yeah . . .it's better to play it safe this time around . . .i'd hate for your co-workers to know about this weekend and have to ruin your monday again . . .and as for the cold . . .DAHYUM . . .it is cold here, too . . .and i could go for a venti skim chai with whip . . .although they have this new one called maple machiatto - you should try it out . . .and as for the pics, your visuals are amazing . . . i am soooooo GLAD your son can't read this well yet . . .how would he ever live down your blogs in school! ;o) have a safe trip.