Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I apologize for that bullshit entry yesterday. I sat down to write yesterday morning, and I had nothing to give at all. I had lots on my mind, and for once I didn't feel articulating it thru the written word. I actually started and deleted for about 10 minutes, and then I decided to submit a haiku, instead of an entry. Writing haiku is not quite as easy as it appears, so I hope my skimpy efforts were appreciated.

I was having one of those days when I sit down and look at my bills and my finances, and I just get cranky and stressed the hell out. Just like I feel like I need a personal assistant sometimes to manage my wardrobe, I definitely need one to manage my bills and my money. Ideally? I that personal assistant would be with me everytime I got paid, everytime I got a bill, and most importantly, each and every time I made a purchase. Extremely wealthy individuals(particularly athletes and entertainers) have accountants who manage their every financial move, and I hear them say that it can be restrictive at times, but in the long run, it definitely pays off. I need to get me one of them..

So Kramer from Seinfeld, also known as Michael Richards, loses his temper and repeatedly says some racist things while being heckled by some black men in the audience. Then yesterday, he comes out and says he's not a racist, and that he apologizes to "Afro-Americans". This whole situation is just one big bag of wrong. First off, I can't even remember the last time I was called an Afro-American. Blacks, Negroes, African-American yes. Afro American? That just makes the apology a bit unbelievable. Secondly, comedians get heckled for being unfunny all the time, but what kind of comedian responds by losing his temper? Most good comedians have an entire stack of material specifically for hecklers, so for him not to have ready-made retorts was just an indictment on the type of comedian he isn't. And lastly, I found myself watching Seinfeld reruns with a bit or resentment yesterday, which may be wrong, but it is what it is(whatever that means). It's like finding out R Kelly likes underaged girls, and then listening to one of his older songs. You're not quite sure who he's singing too, so there's discomfort around his music, and for now, there's a bit of discomfort in watching the show. As I'm typing this, I'm also thinking that Seinfeld never did have too many black folks on there, but it never bothered me because it was funny. Martin Lawrence never had too many white folks on his show, and never bothered me either. Ok i'm getting unfocused now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

like my mother says, "no use of crying over your bills, them sh*ts will be there forever, LOL

For some reason Kramer's remark does not bother me.

Jo said...

Gotta be honest never liked the man in the first place, he gave me the heebbie- geebies . . .AND I totally never thought he was funny - AT ALL. But you are so right, "This whole situation is just one big bag of wrong." As for the personal assistants, do they make ones that work for you, too?