Saturday, February 17, 2007

I have spent most of my Saturday loading up my ipod and reminiscing with my mother about old times. We've gone through pictures, talked about my late grandfather, and just discussed life overall. As I am sitting here, I am thinking of how crucial it is to cherish moments like this with not just family, but everyone in my life who I am close to. Because when these people are gone, all I will have is one big memory of these little conversations that have taken place over the years. It sounds very cliche', but it is absolutely true. I need to do this at least once a month with my mother, father, brother, and anyone else who is important to me.

While I talked to my mother she mentioned that a family friend is very ill. She also mentioned that this woman is so ill that she cannot even clean herself after she uses the restroom. In my mind I fast forwarded to when my parents or even my wife get old, and I am put in the position. How would I react? Or would I be so in love and concerned that I didn't even think twice of how disgusting the task at hand may be. It isn't something I want to happen, but it is some folks' reality, and I need to be prepared. I'm at the point where I can talk to my parents and they can pretty much take care of themselves, but what happens when they can't? I worry about that sometimes you know?(like you can answer). These are the types of questions and issues that must be addressed and they are on my mind...

So I'm going to observe Lent this year, and I am going to give up cursing, sex, and drinking..3 the hard way. We'll see how that works out for me..

that's all for now

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Having a parent not being able to take care of themself is just something you deal with. It was hard for me at first. She took care of me like that from birth so I could at least make her comfortable as possible and give her some dignity in her last moments. (sorry for the emotional rant)

redhotmama said...

rashad, how is giving up sex for lent a sacrifice when your ladyfriend is already away? unless y'all have an arrangement that allows you relief during those lengthy absences? or are you trying to make a joke? and how are you gonna participate in no-sex-during-lent when your ladyfriend (which is such an oldman term) is scheduled to arrive the wknd after lenten season begins?

Jo said...

No song?

And yeah . . .you will just wipe up their shit and not think anything of it . . .that's what you do for loved ones.

And as for the memories . . .be grateful you have them . . .