Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Can someone tell me where the expression "touch and go" came from? Like when a doctor says, it was touch and go there for awhile..what the hell does that mean? I know it means that person was in and out of death, but seriously, how did the two words touch and go get nominated to capture that occasion? I need answers!

Yesterday when I left work, and enjoyed the beautiful day, I happened to notice this attractive woman walking down the street. She had on a nice blouse, and a light brown(I believe they call it camel) skirt that showed off her legs and all that good stuff. The only problem? This woman had her head buried in papers, presumably work-related, and she was not looking up at all. Now I am guilty of doing this sometimes, but similar to a news anchor, I read a bit from the paper, and then I look back up just to make sure no danger is ahead. Well this woman failed to get that memo(or maybe it was the last of the many papers she held), and she got to the end of the curb, and fell HARD. And this wasn't just any intersection she fell into, she fell on the corner of 13th and G Streets, which is a MAJOR traffic area. Not only did she fall right on her knees, she messed up her skirt, her earrings came out, and all of her beloved papers fell as well. A gentleman was right behind her, and helped her up and gathered her belongings. By the time I got close to her, I gently touched her arm, and asked her if she was ok. But somewhere in between the letters "o" and "k", I just started laughing, and I know that's dead wrong, but each step of her fall was playing montage-style in my head, and I just couldnt stop the laughter. Luckily for me and my exposed, unguarded groin area, the woman did not get mad, and she laughed along with me, although curiously the dude who helped her up shot me a mean glance. The woman said I should have been looking, its my fault, to which I quickly responded(in my head) by saying you got that right buddy!

A friend of mine mentioned to me yesterday that she was interested in driving cross country, and it got me to thinking about doing the very same thing. My favorite writer, Mr. Ralph Wiley, drove cross country with his son Cole, who was on his way to an internship with Mr. Johnnie Cochran(who was still living at the time). Both gentleman said that was the most they had ever talked, and now that Ralph has passed, Cole says that still is one of the lasting memories he has of his dad, and considering his dad died 4 days afterwards, I can only imagine. So I say all of that to say, I would very much like to do something like that with my son. In fact, I'd like to do that right before he went to college. We'd talk about life, sex, music, race, and everything else under the son. Of course I could do it before then, but the symbolism of doing it as he leaves for college would be more important.

I watched this movie last night entitled, Conversations with Other Women, and I found it to be very interesting despite his slow pace. It actually seems like more of a play than a movie, because 90% of the movie is focused on two characters who used to be married, meet later on in life, reminisce about what they had, but more importantly, they realize why they are no longer together. I'm glossing over details here, because I think its worth checking out.

Heaven - BeBe and CeCe Winans
By the way, I thought for the longest time BeBe and CeCe were husband and wife, not brother and sister. They used to do videos together, and they seemed to be touching each other in a married way, as opposed to in a sibling way. Creepy stuff man. Great song though.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you laughed!!!!

driving cross country sounds fly. matter of fact, I'm going to put that on my "things I would like to do before I die list".

Unknown said...

wait where do you work? I think we might work close to one another.

Janelle said...

driving cross country is OVERATED. You begin to hate the car and most importantly hate the people in the car with you. But I could be biased. I made a 2 day trek with my crazy family twice. And both times I either flew or took the train back. LOL

Jo said...

Why wait until he's out of college? . . .

And as for BeBe and CeCe Winans . . .EWWWWW!

Anonymous said...

driving cross country is great.
'round about oklahoma, the roads open up and you can drive 80 mph... legally.
driving from dc to l.a. was an amazing experience. i loved every bit of it.

Miss. Lady said...

You are so wrong for laughing in the lady's face! LOL! So wrong!

Anonymous said...

I went on a 4 day road trip in England with some friends when I studied abroad - it was great! Yes we got on each other's nerves and had some tense moments, but I will never forget that experience.

And as I was reading the story I just knew you were going to do something foul like laugh or make a sarcastic comment, lol

Unknown said...

http://www.bartleby.com/81/16666.html