Sunday, April 15, 2007

So I spent the majority of my evening with my brother, his wife and their friends. They decided to throw a house party, and I must admit I had a lot of fun. Of course there were moments when I felt old, like when folks were looking at me funny for drinking wine and not liquor; or when I heard people talking about how young they were when the Remember the Time video came out, but there were folks my age sprinkled in there as well, so I didn’t feel too badly. I must say though it was kind of cool to see all of these friends that Jamal and his wife had. None of his other friends were married, but it didn’t matter because everyone had a great time. One of their jackass friends woke up my nephew just because they wanted to play with him, so I think that was the only misstep of the night. But even that gave me the opportunity to put the little on in bed and to sleep. He resisted at first, but eventually he settled down, and went to sleep.

This weekend has been very interesting, because I have gotten the chance to see how the other half lives up close. Everything is shared in their household, any decision that is made has to be discussed even if its for 2 minutes. The friends that they have are friends of them as a couple, and there are no games, no wondering if the other person is really into them, there’s just love. Of course they cynic in me can say things are still new, but I’m not going to go there. Right now they have their minor spats, but for the most part they are happy young couple. And hell yes I’m biased. Now, all that being said, I am still not ready to be married. Not quite yet. I may be lonely at times, but I simply am not ready for that level of 24 hour sacrifice and commitment. It’ll happen though.

Oh and all of Jamal’s wife friends were fine. I mean they were real good looking, and they treated me nicely because I was Jamal’s brother. I guarantee if any of them saw me on the street, that would treat me with nothing but contempt and hate…but it was nice looking at them all.

I am ready to go back home now to my mundane life. The Sunday night baseball game on ESPN will feature a tribute to Jackie Robinson, so I can’t wait to see that. The Sopranos comes on at 9pm, and then after that HBO is doing a preview to the big Mayweather/De La Hoya fight coming up. It may not be as glamorous as a marriage and putting a child to sleep, but I’ll take it.

I’m so tired right now, I don’t know I am up for my usual airport reports…we’ll see though.

The Verve-Bittersweet Symphony

1 comment:

Jo said...

Dang . . .I hadn't seen that video in eons. It was pretty good. Micheal is a genious . . .and yeah. I was wayyyyy old when that one came out. Now Thriller was another story . . . were they even born yet? And yeah what idiot thought it was cool to wake a sleeping baby . . . I know you wanted to punch him! Glad it served as a good get-a-way for you, though.