Saturday, May 19, 2007

Tupac Shakur has a song called Against All Odds, and he starts off by saying, that the song he's getting ready to perform is the "realest shit he ever wrote", and this blog entry may very well be that same thing for me. My apartment caught fire last night without me in it, and I lost damn near eveything. My clothes are ruined, files and papers are gone, dishes damaged beyond repair, records, cds, music gone, furniture damaged..everything. The only things to survive? My dresser, my tv and my laptop and shoes. I am still in shock about this, and the reality of it hasn't really hit me yet. The wild part is, I didn't even go home last night. I spent the night at a friend's house, and I had just planned to go home in the morning except there was no home to go to. So now I am starting over. I have to get a whole new wardrobe, new furnitre, new place to live, new dishes, I mean every damn thing, and its one of those most helpless feelings one can have. So, if you can help me out at all, just call or email, and if you don't want to do jack, that's fine too, just call me with some encouragement. I'm trying to find pockes of humor in this, but there isn't any to be had right now. I'll try to be diligent about blogging, because it does help to get the emotion out, but considering what else is on my plate who knows if I'll be able to maintain it. That's all for now.

10 comments:

TM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Be strong and of good courage Rashad.
God Bless!!!

Anonymous said...

man, peace, yo.
recovering from a fire is hard work.

now the writer in me has questions:

any idea how it started?
was your apartment the only one affected?
and how did it go up in the night and no one try to contact you?
your landlord/property manager didn't have your info?

Janelle said...

I can't express how sorry I am about the fire but also how happy I am that you weren't hurt. If you need anything, you know how to reach me. For real.

Miss. Lady said...

Rashad, so sorry to hear of the things that you have lost but the most important thing in this is that you nor anyone else was hurt. You have just motivated me to reinstate my renters insurance policy. If you need anything then do not hesitate to email, IM or call me.

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm sure there is nothing I can say to make you feel better. I do have some extra dishes if can have if you want them. Stay up.

Anonymous said...

When you told me, I hoped, that of all things, your laptop would be safe. I know how much you value it, and at least you will have an outlet. Turn tragedy into inspiration and then triumph...

Anonymous said...

Peace and Light

Anonymous said...

If a Tyler Durden shows up in the upcoming weeks run away...

All kidding aside, sorry to hear about your loss! I can't imagine what I'd do if my condo went up in flames.

Jo said...

Heyah Man, you found the comedy in all of it after all. For some reason, though . . . I think this whole experience has thrown me off, too. And yeah, you are right, this is the "realest shit you ever wrote." It came straight from the gut. I am glad you are pulling through and turning over a new leaf . . .and in a good way, too.