Sunday, June 17, 2007

I can best sum up my father's day weekend with the following scene. It was 6pm, my father, my son and I, were sitting in the ESPN Zone in Baltimore, MD. I was eating BBQ chicken Pizza, my father was working on some catfish, and my son was tearing up a buffalo chicken sandwich, that was too spicy for him because his eyes were watering. Conversation was minimal once the food arrived, but beforehand the conversation was plentiful. My son had just finished playing a NASCAR racing game, so he describing it in detail to my father and I. My father was intrigued by Carlton's newfound interest in the sports, and I was enjoying the back and forth between my dad and the one who calls me dad. A little after 6pm..I'd say about 6:04, we all stopped eating and looked at the televisions. The television to the left had Barry Bonds up to bat against the Boston Red Sox, and the television to the right had Tiger Woods about to take the lead in the US Open. Our 3 sets of eyes were darting back and forth to both televisions, although mine were looking at the tvs, then my son, then my dad. Barry Bonds ended up flying out, and Tiger Woods did end up taking the lead momentarily. Once these moments were over, my dad looked at me and didn't say anything, he just nodded and smiled. My son had the same look on his face, except he verbalized what my father had been feeling, and he said, "Daddy I couldn't figure out which one to watch". i just smiled, and then we all went back to eating our food, and watching tv. These are the kinds moments fathers and grandfathers hope for, and to be honest I'm quite sure I'm not giving this moment justice thru words, but that's all I have.

I forgot how much these types of weekends wear me out. I am absolutely tired, and I am thinking long and hard about taking off tomorrow. Plus, my friend Nina is coming back two weeks early, so now I have to figure out where to live in the interim. I'll save that for tomorrow, for now I'll savor my weekend with Carlton and my father.

Stand By Me - Ben E. King

1 comment:

TM said...

I'm glad you had such a beautiful Father's Day weekend experience. Cherish those moments and I wish all three of you many, many more.