Thursday, June 21, 2007

There is a song called Respiration by Blackstar and Common, and it came out back in 1999. I used to play that song to death, mostly because of the beat, and the way the rappers flowed over it. I sat down at my desk this morning and listened to it, and now it resonates me for much different reasons. There are two different lines that jumped out at me this morning. One, "So much on my mind that I can't recline..." and the other, "its hard to be a spiritual being when shit is shaking what you believe in". The entire song is worth listening to, but those two spoke to my current situation man. It makes no sense to try to run from it, or declare myself all "better" because I have one day of euphoria. This will be with me in some capacity for a minute, so I may as well deal with it. I am unhappy with aspects of my life, and but there are other aspects that are damn good. As my spiritual guru(my mother) said to me today, I have a cell phone, i have a computer, i have a job, and i have friends and family. Things could sho nuff be worse. I could be the homeless man I so fervently stalked last year. How's that for perspective?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listen to mama, Rashad

heyyyyyyyy, I forgot about the homeless guy.

GemEnigma said...

Awesome perspective. And I believe that it's good to vent about things as often as you need to. It's therapeutic. Besides, if people get sick of "hearing" you talk about it, they don't have to read the blog. Simple as that.

Anonymous said...

Writing it out or talking about it is it good way to deal with it. It is when you don't have a window to vent that it becomes a problem.....That song is one of the greatest of all time......That song should be the blueprint for all MC's.

maxwellsmusze said...

great song!

stay up ra:)

Jo said...

RM . . . I feel ya . . . sometimes you just gotta gripe and complain . . . even if mom is rigt . . .and she always is . . .