Tuesday, July 03, 2007

You know most of the time we think of our parents as just parents, not friends, not professionals, not any of the other roles they play in life, or at least I don't. I have looked at my mother as the woman who raised me, the woman who gives me advice, and the woman who possesses the uncanny knack for getting on my nerves. Yesterday, at my mother's farewell reception, I was able to see a completely different side of her. My mother, after 19 years, is leaving George Mason to take the job of provost at Bennett College in North Carolina. Her job decided to give her a reception in her honor, and I surprised my mother by showing my face. While I was in that reception room, I saw my mother's colleagues, old friends, old students, current students, and people who knew her by her reputation. Everyone who got on the microphone had nothing but praises for her, and it was just a good feeling to see someone who I call mother, get all these high praises from her peers. I had way more of an appreciation for who she is and will continue to be outside of her role as a parent. Of course, she managed to put me right on the spot during her speech, and I had to meet EVERYONE in the damn room, but I really didn't mind....that much. It was weird to have people come up to me who I had never met, say to me, Rashad, right? I've heard so much about you, and I just want to give you a hug. It makes you feel good as a child to know that your parents will brag on you, even when you probably don't deserve it. Very good times indeed. I am going to miss my mother being in this area with me, but I know she's moving on to bigger and better things.

I have an intern in my office with me, and he is really cramping my blogging style. He's all over my shoulder, asking me why my picture is online, asking me if the people in the office know I blog, and he is just too damn eager. I told his happy ass that he needs to be networking in this office, since he is a criminal justice major, instead of watching me. I also told him to make sure he dresses right, comes in on time, and go the extra mile whenever he can. These are things that I don't come close to doing, but then again I am not trying to get a career in the Dept of Justice, he is(aka do as I say, not as I do). I detect a hint of the ghey, but I have put aside my homophobia long enough to help the young brother out. As I said before, what good is it to be 32, if I can't transfer some of my limited knowledge to the ghey youth.

You've Got It Bad - Stevie Wonder

8 comments:

BewRadley said...

dang he all over ya shoulder like that?

Miss. Lady said...

Ewwwwwww! I hate folks being all over my shoulder. That is a major pet peeve of mine and it is a good way to accidentally get slapped. "Opps! I am SO SORRY! I did not mean to slap you. That was just a natural reflex because I thought you were a fly and you scared me! Don't EVER do that again!" :evil laughter:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that is a good look for our mother. I am mad once again that I couldn't be there....You need to give that intern some groundrules for coming over and asking questions.

maxwellsmusze said...

YOUR MOM IS A STAR!

i feel so sorry for that intern. real talk.

Janelle said...

Isn't it funny that when you hear people say such wonderful things about your mother, you think to yourself "You can't be talking about this crazy woman who whooped my ass for eating a cookie." LOL

Congrats to your mom! As her son, you are biologically destined for greatness. Or you can be some tragic alcoholic screw-up who blames mom for your failures. You know - either way is cool! LOL

Arminta said...

Oh I am SO HURT that I did not know about this reception!!! I had your mother 3 of my 4 okay 4 and summer school... years at GM and I LOVE HER! I have papers that she commented on saved because she gave ME such wonderful advice.. She really helped me be okay with being me...I fish outta water of sorts in an enviroment where it was " you deserve to be here? prove it!" and I appreciate her knack for pushing me. So I want to send love on that for real! And that intern...well I can't say what I would do which is why I probably could not work for the government even if I wanted to! HA!

Anonymous said...

Your mother is beautiful inside and out. Reading the article about her empowers me. You definitely has something to be proud of.

Unknown said...

Congrats to the Good Rev. Dr. !