Sunday, September 30, 2007

Last night, I attended a retirement dinner at Georgetown University for my best friend's father, Dr. Clifton Leftridge, and I cannot even begin to tell you how good of a time I had. But i'll try. The evening started with my boys, Kevin and Cliff picking me up, and they had a chance to briefly meet my ladyfriend, and of course, when she kissed me as I got in the car, they made fun of me in front of her, and about 20 minutes after, although I must say I deserved that ridiculing and more because I violated the man law. As I've mentioned before, Kevin, Cliff and I have no each other for 18 and 20 years respectively, so you can imagine the level of jokes and immaturity that was flying around the entire night. Yes we were wearings suits and ties, yes we all appeared to be mature from the outside, but the reality is, when you get guys together who have known each other for a long time, the maturity level plummets, and hilarity ensues. Last night was no different.

Once we stepped into the reception, we each took on different roles. Cliff, because it was his father being honored, had to meet and greet seemingly everyone in the room. Kevin and I made a beeline for the cash bar, and started drinking the first of what would be about 6 glasses of quality red wine, and yes the buzz I had was real and very spectacular. Kevin can work the room like a champ, and he did just that. He charmed the older ladies, talked with the older gentlemen, and he was just an overall social juggernaut. Me? I didn't say very much. I spoke when I was spoken to, and mainly watched people interact. My social flaws have been well documented in this blog, so there's no need to harp on that. Thank God for glass of wine though.

The actual event was very beautiful. Dr. Leftridge retired this year after 29 years of service in the Radiology Department of Georgtown University Hospital. Over 100 people were there to honor him, and I must admit I was in awe. Most people in my generation won't even be at a job for that amount of time, and even if we are lucky enough to do that, there is guarantee that we will create as big of a legacy as this man did. There were countless stories of his generosity, his skill as a teacher, his job as both a father and a husband, etc. Dr. Leftridge has been a second father to me ever since I met him in 1987. He would talk to me about certain issues, let me borrow money when my father said no, correct me when I would try to self-diagnose a medical problem, and keep me sane when my father was not available. So to see that many other individuals felt just as lucky to know and have him in their lives as I did, was quite special. And to share this occasion with my boys was even better. So much so, that I got my ass up at 7:30 on Sunday morning to write about this..

No comments: