Friday, November 16, 2007

I have extremely mixed feelings about this indictment of Barry Bonds. I have always like Barry's style. He's always carried himself in a manner that says, "Eff you, I know I'm good, now watch me back it up", and he always did. Most athletes give you politically correct answers or they talk in athlete speak (I give 134%, i'm just playing my game, i want to give credit to my teammates, etc). Those kinds of athletes keep things placid, but they are frustrating to journalists and writers who crave for something controversial, and Barry was and still is that controversial man. Barry was voted as the player of the 90's back in 2000, and he was voted to the all-century team that same year, and he was voted by the media. That's where my love for Barry started. But he's messed up since then. He got greedy back in 1998 when he saw Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa, both of whom were on some performance enhancing drug, get an insane amount of love from the media. So he started taking some type of steroid himself. He could have come clean about using drugs back when he initially went in front of the grand jury, but he didnt want to snitch on himself or others, and now its come back to get him. Not only that, it has robbed me of the chance to possibly see him play one more year. We'll see how things unfold over the next few months, but it looks bleak.

This whole concept of carpooling is very fascinating to me. One person goes to a random spot, and picks up 3 or 4 people on the way to work. Then they all sit in the car in silence(for the most part), and they ride for anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour into work, and then the driver pulls up to the designated spot in the city, and the passengers get out and go on their merry way. I for one, could not have folks in the car with me and not speak or something. But 9 times out of 10, I wouldn't want to speak to strangers anyway, so they probably wouldn't even make in in my car. And what if I wanted to blast this song all the way into work? Would they ask me to turn it down? Would they give me dirty looks via the rear view mirror? I know the whole point of carpooling or picking up slugs as it is affectionately called sometimes, is to cutdown on the number of cars on the road. Plus it helps keep the environment clean, and I'm all for that. But I'd much rather drive a Prius than pollute my car with strangers in the morning and again at night.

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - The Police
This is the perfect song to do the Carlton dance to

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There was a place like this when I lived in Oakland. Many, many, many cars lined up so they could get other passengers. The point was to pick up at leat 3 peopls so you could use the carpool lane. So it wasn't really about the environment at all.

Janelle said...

Black man with too much influence and who says FUCK YOUUUUU to the system is bound to get some type of indictment sooner or later. But he'll get a book deal outta this. Be on Oprah. Make more money.

Why would you carpool with strangers?? Wouldn't you pick up people you know who work in the same area??? Why the hell would you allow a stranger to get in your car?? That just screams a Curb Your Enthusiam episode.

Anonymous said...

Dawg ... not the Prius. Anything but that. I'd hate to hear you lie talking about "you know how many honeys I done blended in that there Prius". Prius, Carlton Dance .... Sting, it is Rashad appreciates white folks day. I appreciated them last week, listened to Madonna on my way past Panera Bread. Could not eat in there though - thats ghey.