Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I am not the smartest brother in the world, but I damn sure am not even close to the dumbest. So from my semi-smart perspective, it seems to me that the structure of all these primaries is just jacked up, and to be honest it is starting to resemble the inept BCS system that is used in college football. It seems to me that if you win the popular vote in a particular state, you should win that primary. I know it sounds like a foreign concept, but it makes sense to me. I don't know how many times during the Super Tuesday coverage, did I hear an analyst tell me that although the popular vote was in, we had to sit tight and see the delegate count. In the BCS system I mentioned above, that is like a team going undefeated, but it is ineligible to play for the national title because they didn't play a "credible" team. Its is utter and complete bullshit. In the Republican primary, McCain is so far ahead, that it really doesn't make a difference. But in the nip and tuck affair that is the Democratic race, more clarity is needed. So, here in my little blog, I am going propose what I think is the solution.

I think by January of an election year, there should be a country wide primary for each party. It doesn't matter how many candidates declare themselves as candidates, everyone is welcome. Even Alan Keyes. Then the top 6 vote getters(not delegate winners, but straight up votes and percentages) are eligible for the next country wide primary in March. Then the final 4 are on the ballot for the next primary in May, and then the final two are on the ballot for the last primary in July. This is perfect because it serves as a perfect lead-in into the Democratic and Republican conventions. Also, if someone is the front runner, and if they are truly going to be the party nominee, they will have methodically earned it through popular votes, not via this nefarious process we have now, that has Obama and Hillary thoroughly confused. They are both claiming victory, while McCain sits back and laughs at his REAL victory.

By the way, lost in all this election excitement, is the fact that The Daddy(you know him as Shaquille O'Neal) is on the verge of being traded from the Miami Heat to the Phoenix Suns. I won't bore you with details, but this could possibly be the dumbest trade I have ever seen. Phoenix is a running team, and Shaq simply can't do that for an extended period of time, without sustaining injuries. Plus I like seeing Dwyane Wade and the Daddy together, although it looks like Shaq's days as a dominant center are numbered anyway. I wonder if Shaq's ongoing divorce had anything to do with him agreeing to go from Miami to Phoenix. This story will surely have greater details as the day progresses. Stay tuned.

Cleaning Out My Closet - Eminem
I know Eminem is very annoying and overly dramatic at times, but this particular song of his is my favorite. He's angry, he's yelling, and all that, but the third verse of this song is simply amazing. It's not just what he is saying that is so compelling, its how he says, how he phrases the words and divides the syllables that is incredible..to me at least. Parental discretion is advised.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

Rashad, you can barely get people to the polls ONCE every 4 years and you want them to show up FOUR times in a year BEFORE they have to really vote in November??? Great plan because these primaries are even more confusing because some states are winner take all while others are "you got some votes you get some delegates". What kind of madness is this??? hahahaha

Jo said...

Hopefully Sat and Sun will bring more clarity to this HOT MESS! Keep hope alive . . .

Miss Black River said...

Sooo not pleased about Shaq and Dwayne being separated. I was hoping next season with everyone all healthy and newly-freed (sometimes divorced is a good place to be)we would see them do something amazing.

£ said...

i'm up late and reading your blog. As you know, shaq was traded...i'm interested in know what your perspective is, being that you are a sports guru.

Also, when did calling shaq "the daddy" begin? I've never heard that before. Or is it just one of your names for him?