Monday, April 14, 2008

If you really and truly care about how someone is doing and/or feeling, you pick up the phone, you dial the number, and you ask them directly. In some cases, you may even get in the car, or buy a plane ticket ,and go that extra mile just to be sure that person is doing ok. You don't text message, email, or go to a myspace page to do that, because it just comes off as callous and insincere. And I know all of this, because I am frequently guilty of this behavior. Sometimes I'll send an email to someone and ask them how their doing, when in reality I should be saying, "I'm thinking of you, but I don't really want to talk to you or with you." I can't expect people to know and understand that I am anti-social, sometimes I have to take that extra step. Granted, this is Monday morning, and I am tired, and all emotions are a bit more raw than they will be this afternoon or tomorrow. But this was on my mind after I sent a bullshit, "how have you been" message to a friend and mine, and it is especially on my mind, since my brother send me these kinds of texts all the time. And yes Jamal, I am calling you out..indirectly of course.

The morning after Tiger Woods doesn't win a golf tournament (pronounced "tunament) is especially hard for me to deal with. As I have written about before, I have a bit of a mancrush on Tiger, and I feel like I have a lot personally invested in his success. So that when he falls short(and falling short for Tiger is finishing in second place) I get irritated knowing that all day, I will have to hear both on radio and on television, people asking what's wrong with Tiger. He's set the bar so high, that when he loses, its a big deal, when in reality, golfers only win tournaments 3 or 4 times a year, and they "lose" 10 or 11 times and that's putting on the mild side. I feel like I work for his PR department or something here.

If you look back on every blog I have ever written on Monday, I think you'll find that they all suck. I'm keeping with the tradition today.

Tevin Campbell - Round and Round

2 comments:

bfnh. said...

i sincerely agree. i think somewhere over the years i completely missed out on one of various "text is acceptable" conferences. it's bullshit. phonecalls are always preferred.

i still believe there are certain things you don't do over the phone, too. if that means less overall "conversations," then so be it. but, the ones i have will be meaningful. or, at least, i hope they are.

maxwellsmusze said...

hi rashad! how are you doing? hope all is well.