Thursday, May 22, 2008

The age of 33 continues to be the gift that keeps right on giving. In the past 48 hours I have discovered a new nose hair, been diagnosed with a bulging disk in my back, and noticed yet another gray hair in my beard. The nose hair had me sniffing and blowing my nose like Marion Barry until I finally figure out what it was. My back issues, which are flaring up for the second time this year, have caused me to stop running in the morning. The funny thing about that is that I have actually LOST weight during that same period of time. The gray hair in my beard really hasn't changed my life as of yet, but I'll keep you posted.

I realized the other day that my family is going through some serious issues right now. My brother lost his job, my mother is dealing with the fact that her mother and stepfather, can no longer support themselves, and my father is dealing with health issues as well. I have faith that everyone will come through it, but it is a weird thing to deal with and watch. In the past, my family would have problems one at a time, but it never seemed to last long or be that serious. These current issues are very serious, and in the case of my mother, not only will they not go away, but I need to be paying close attention to them, since I will be in that very position. I'm not trying to depress anyone, I just think I needed to get this in writing and out of my head. There are enough thoughts in there as it is, every now and then I need to deposit some in this blog. That's what its here for right?

And since I dont want to end on a depressing note, I think I shall mention a juicy tidbit from my trip to the barbershop. During the week, my barbershop usually has sports on tv, which makes sense since 90% of the clients are males. On the weekends, since lots of parents bring their kids in, they usually have kiddie movies on, and I can tolerate that. Yesterday, during the same time of day that PTI is usually on ESPN, these fools had on the movie, 27 Dresses...I repeat, 27 Dresses. Not only was the movie on, but each and every person in that shop (including me) was totally captivated by the plot, and at several points during my haircut, my barber actually stopped to watch. 11 years I've been going in that shop, and I have never seen anything like it. I am used to seeing Tyler Perry movies, or action flicks, or sports, but a girly movie like 27 Dresses? Never. It was acutally pretty good though, so run out and rent it.

My Flame - Bobby Caldwell

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry i totally liked 27 dresses man.

Janelle said...

As we get older, family gets more complicated. And no one warns you. Of course I'm praying for your family.

27 dresses is the shiznit..I rented it over the weekend and purchased it yesterday...LOL

I think it was acceptable at the barbershop because the storyline is not your typical romantic comedy where girl loses all sensibilities over a guy and gets all mushy and stupid. Men like romance too (what do I know..I'm a chick! hahahahaa) but they don't want to be hit over the head with it repeatedly.

asabi said...

someone else just recommended 27 dresses to me. but it was a 50 year old white woman. i guess there are some things that brings us all together. thanks rashad.

Miss. Lady said...

Rashad you and your family are in my prayers.

Looks like I need to go out and rent 27 dresses. :)

£ said...

Man...you're making me afraid to get older! lol

its wrinkles thats got me scared though...although i'm sure that if i saw a grey hair i'd freak out just the same.

and you know your fam is in my thoughts my dude.

btw i love the barbershop dynamic. the few times i've been in one it was hilarious