Saturday, July 19, 2008

We got to the theatre about 45 minutes early to see "The Dark Knight" yesterday, only to see there were people who had been line for 2 and a half hours. You'd have thought they were giving away iPhones or something. Once we got in the theater, there were people frantically running around trying to save seats for their friends, and I cannot tell you how annoyed I was, but I kept it together, despite having to constantly get up out of my aisle seat.

I rate the actual movie about a 7 out of 10. The action was great, the plot was great, and the acting was pretty damn good. Christian Bale was stoic as usual in his role as Batman, Morgan Freeman played his role well as always, and Michael Caine brought a certain level of class to the Alfred role. Heath Ledger was excellent as the villain, although I wouldn't go as far as to say he deserves an Oscar for his performance. But still he was diabolical and funny all at the same time. My only gripe is that the movie was way too long. The last 15 minutes or so were corny, and they seemed forced. But I'm nitpicking, overall it was good..except for one thing.

Maggie Gyllenhaal played Batman's and Harvey Dent's love interest and never has someone been so badly cast. Maggie is not attractive at all, her posture is bad, and she just looked like a fish out of water the whole movie. In the previous Batman, Katie Holmes played the female lead, and while she's not attractive to me either, she was still better than Maggie. In fact, I could think of about four women that could have played that role:

1)Jessica Alba
2)Jada Pinkett
3)Jennifer Aniston
4)Sanaa Lathan

If you've seen the movie, please weigh in here on the movie, but specifically, Maggie Gyllenhaal. I can't be the only who saw this atrocity.

3 comments:

. said...

i am going to have to see the movie before i give a critique because i love maggie gyllenhaal. i think there is a quirkiness to her beauty, but that is me.

i figured that people were possibly over-inflating the excellence of this film, but by next week i will be able to have assessed and give my own opinion of the movie.

good times.

Neil MacLean said...

Yup, completely agree. I had to comment on this to my wife as the movie was going on. Gyllenhaal looked OLD, especially in that ball scene. In other movies, she's not looked that unattractive, but here she was out of place. The actress I think should have been playing the part is Rachel Weisz. She's got a good combination of class and beauty.

Anonymous said...

i agree also ...she looked horrible. the whole movie i was trying to figure out why they would be fighting for her affection