Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I was a part of something beautiful yesterday, and I would be remiss if I did not share this with my 3 readers.

I had to pick up my dry cleaning right after work yesterday and for once I actually had my ticket. Usually I leave it at home and although the ladies in there are very nice about finding my stuff, they start speaking really rapidly in their language, and I know they are talking about me, uttering all types of curses of racial slurs. How do I know this? Because I'd do the same thing. Anyway, I had my ticket when I strode in the shop, and initially no one was behind the counter. Then about 30 seconds later, one of the ladies appeared from behind the counter, she looked up to see that it was me, then she stopped, turned around and automatically starting looking for my clothes, even though I had yet to give her my ticket, which would indicate exactly where my clothes were. Clearly she knew who I was.

Then, after she got my clothes, she hung them up, she gave me a brief smile, then she rang up my total which came to $13, and I handed her my card(I didn't put it on the counter, and make her reach for it, that's rude. Just like its rude when I put a card or money in some one's hand, then they return the favor by putting it on the counter. What kind of shit is that?). Anyway, she ran my card, got a pen for me, and I signed my name, detached my yellow receipt from her white one, grabbed my clothes, told her to have a good night, she said you too, and I left the store. So what's the big deal? I'll tell what the big deal was..

1)She knew who I was. That's huge to me, and frankly that's what customer service is about. This means that eventually, somewhere down the road, I will get some kind of cleaners hookup. I don't know what it is, but its coming baby. Its akin to knowing a bartender and getting a mysteriously cheap tab, despite the fact that serious drinking has gone down.

2)She didn't bore me with small talk. Most places of business seem to hire the most annoying people in the world who talk about their kids, the weather, recent sports events, how tired they are, or in this case, this woman could even commented on my clothes in some shape, form or fashion. But she did not. She stayed quiet, efficiently processed my transaction, and kept it moving.. She flashed a brief smile, but that was it. I like that.

Again, this may not seem like a big deal to you, but you should start mentally analyzing your interactions with store clerks, waiters, bartenders, etc and watch how many times your times your time is wasted and you are made to listen to something that absolutely nothing to do with you. Or maybe you have better things to do with your time. Clearly I do not.

Tomorrow is the first day of the Washington Wizards season and I am nervous and excited all at the same time. That's all I'll say for right now.

Get Involved - Raphael Saadiq featuring Q-tip

5 comments:

£ said...

lol @ "How do I know this? Because I'd do the same thing."

you are so wrong for that haha

anyway, sounds like you and the dry cleaning clerk are on your way to forging a beautiful relationship; one based on the bonds of the "hook-up." i see you shaking that butt of yours into big, big savings. © cosmo

i've had a few hook-ups in my life, all of them beautiful in their own discounted way...one of my favorites being the chik fil a guy, he'd give me an extra sammich and fries w/my order. it was fattening. it was beautiful. it was a sad day when he left that job.

Miss. Lady said...

Now that is what I call excellent customer service. LOL!

Kawana Cohen-Hopkins said...

You are sooo right. Good customer service means a lot. Now stop leaving your slip at home!!

~kawana (your 3rd reader)

spirit_55 said...

Rashad, thank you for sharing what seems like such a mundane detail of one's life. With this cycle of sweeping and intense economic changes, most folks are going to be thinking twice before they spend their money. They are going to expect the very best service for the $$$. I know I do.

Friendly eye contact, and epediant service goes a long way in helping me release my dough to a business.

It'so easy to forget that we are all human, and that our everyday contact with each other can produce some really profound connections to something greater than ourselves.

Jazzbrew said...

Bad service has become so normal you are almost always surprised when you get GOOD service. How sad is that?

Big props for posting that tune. I brought the PJ's Soundtrack a few years ago for that one song...