Monday, May 25, 2009

I sprained my ankle something terrible yesterday, trying to be a super athlete. I had just finished swimming for 40 minutes or so, and I was getting ready to go home, when I peeked in the gym to see what was going on. There was a 17 year old boy in there shooting baskets alone, and when he saw me, he immediately challenged me to a game of one-on-one. I was tired from swimming, sweating like a madman, and I was in no condition to be playing basketball, but my ego got the best of me, so I said, "Sure!"

Five minutes into the game, I regretted my decision. I was two steps slow, I didn't feel like guarding this dude, and clearly this young fellow had endless energy. He was winning 7-1, when I jumped up to get the rebound, and my left foot landed on his, twisted to the left, and then came down. I yelled out an impressive string of expletives, hit the wall with my fist, and limped around for about 30 seconds, before I said to the kid, "Ok, let's continue." I reeled off 6 points in a row, and tied the game, while playing in pain, before he put me out of my misery and beat me 11-7.

I wanted to be angry and embarrassed that this 17 year old beat me, but the pain in my ankle reigned supreme. All day long the ankle slowly swelled up, and gave me problems, and the longer I sat down, the worse it was. My lady and I went to see the play Radio Golf and afterwards, I felt like trash, and I feel the same today. I'm writing all this so that you'll feel sorry for me, so I hope its working. Now if you excuse me, I am headed out to find some Chik-fil-A on this fine Memorial Day off.

1 comment:

Papier Girl said...

ouch! (literally and figuratively) At least you had the heart to go up against the 17-year-old...but let this be a lesson, my friend. Anyway, feel better.