Tuesday, August 04, 2009

I emailed a friend of mine on Sunday to ask her a question, and she didn't get back to me until early Monday morning, and in her response she told me she was off line all day Sunday. No phone, no email, no Twitter, no facebook, no texting, no internets, nothing. I thought to myself, what a novel idea. And since I now have every other Monday off (starting with yesterday), I decided to do the same..for the most part. I briefly checked email, I updated my fantasy baseball lineup, and I dabbled on Twitter a bit, but for the most part I stayed off the computer. In my head I was going to read from the 3 books I'm currently reading simultaneously, and maybe watch some tv. In reality, I slept, watched late 80s NBA highlights, and finished the first season of Mad Men (which I am hooked on by the way).

The advantages of such a day? I am refreshed, energized, and ready to tackle this four day work week. Disadvantages? I think and over think, and now I have thought about a dozen projects that I want to take on and tackle, and I didn't write any of them down. I forget where I heard this, but I remember in some movie or tv show, there was a character who carried around a notebook strictly for ideas. Some of them were used right away, some were stored for a later date, and some were simply discarded and dismissed, but the point is they were written down. Perhaps I'll start doing that..

Once again, my son wants Lebron James sneakers for his 12th birthday next Thursday, and once again I want to send him a GFY card in their place. I love my son, I love his sports savvy and enthusiasm and all that, but as a Wizards fan, I am quite sure I am violating some type of rule by purchasing a jersey last year, and now shoes this time around. I should tell him that they are too expensive, and then buy him some Gilbert Arenas shoes instead. This is yet another instance when it sucks that he's not with me full time. If we lived under the same roof, there is no way in the world that he'd get anything LeBron James related. In fact, he'd be forced to like all the teams I like (Eagles, Nationals, Wizards) until he was old enough to present strong arguments otherwise, and even then its iffy as to whether I'd accept it...

Blame my rambling on the refreshing day off..

Something Beautiful Remains (remix) - Tina Turner

2 comments:

Truth About It said...

Eagles?

God ... I'd rather you get him some LeBron James shoes.

rashad said...

Eagles baby. Randall Cunningham captivated me in '85, and I haven't stopped being a fan since..