Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ok so I got starstruck at two different points last night before the Lakers game, but it had nothing to do with any of the players. The first time was when Phil Jackson said, "How you doing?" to me as I walked by him in the Lakers' locker room. Me being the cool (not even close) fellow that I am I simply said, "Fine how are you?" and that was it. I've been watching Phil Jackson on television since I was in high school, mostly dealing with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen and the Chicago Bulls. Never in a million years did I think I'd ever be trading salutations with the man as an adult. Of course I wanted to tell him all this, but that's a huge no-no when you're wearing a media pass so I kept it moving.

By the way, I saw Kobe, Derek Fisher, Pau Gasol, etc, but I gotta tell you, its hard getting starstruck over dudes who are around my age or younger. It just doesn't happen for me. Kareem? yes. In fact any player I grew up watching will get me excited in a heterosexual way..but players my age and younger? nope. I have respect for them, and I know they make much more money than I do, I just can't get too excited. That is also my rationale for not wearing a jersey of anyone my age or younger. I have two jersey in my possession. Randall Cunningham and Ahmad Rashad. And they are both old(er) and retired. I digress..

The second starstruck moment occurred at Lamar Odom's locker, but it wasn't him who had me speechless. I was surrounded by sports writers and journalists whose work I respect tremendously. To my left was Tony Kornheiser, to his left was Michael Wilbon, to my right was David Aldridge and to his right was Mike Wise. Now these names may not mean anything to you, but to me, they represent some of the best sports writing/reporting has to offer. And here they were talking to each other and Odom about the Yankees, the Mets, the Jets, the Giants and President Obama. I was supposed to be asking Odom questions as well, but I was just caught up in the moment with my mouth open.

There were other sports writers there, who did not seem starstruck at all, and God bless them. I was not as lucky, and initially I felt a little embarrassed, but after a good night's sleep and a bit of reflection, I have no regrets. The next time that happens, I'll know how to handle it. But last night, I just took it all in (that's what she said).

3 comments:

Jazzbrew said...

Big props on the tune selection.

I feel you regarding being starstruck for younger cats. I will admit to getting starstruck when I saw Tiger Woods at the AT&T National last year but that's about it.

£ said...

"how you doing" or "how YOU doin?"

Neil MacLean said...

wow at Kornheiser, Wilbon, Aldridge and Wise. And Rashad.
That's crazy.