Wednesday, February 24, 2010

This is the time of the year (at least it has been for the past 4 or 5 years) when I call up my father and ask him if he is down to attend the Penn Relays. My father has been a track and field fan his entire life, and it hurts him to see how the sport has been basically relegated to an afterthought. Track meets rarely come on television these days, and if they do, they are aired about 3 weeks after they actually happened, and nobody cares at that point. During Summer Olympic years (the only Olympics worth watching in my opinion, damn these Winter Games), ESPN steps up their track coverage, but its not nearly enough to satisfy my father's (or mine really) appetite. So the Penn Relays is ALL track, all day, for all ages, so I know he'll be down to go.

But something always comes up to prevent us from actually going. Either I will have something to do, or he has something to do that he previously neglected or he and I will just forget to follow through with the other. Now its actually a running joke with us. He'll say, "So yeah how are the Penn Relays looking this year?", and I'll laugh and say, "I'm ready when you are", but not a damn thing happens.

But when Julius Erving turned 60 the other day, I realized that means that my father will also hit that milestone, and all types of good and bad thoughts ran through my head. And one of the main thoughts that made its way to the forefront of my mind was the damn Penn Relays. I am DETERMINED to get that man to Philly this year to see some damn track and field, and I may even need to enlist the help of my brother to do this. It can be an all man trip with my son and my nephew coming along as well, or maybe its just me and my dad, or whatever combination, I don't really care. I just need to make sure that man gets his wish, and that I record some video and take pictures. These things cannot be taken for granted.

So I'm writing this has a reminder to myself. Sorry if this bored you. Oh and if any of you people are interested in seeing the musical version of the GREAT movie High Fidelity, please let me know. I may have one or two tickets available.

Here is yet another article I wrote.

That's all - Genesis

1 comment:

£ said...

yeah you gotta get your dad to the Relays. Its a must for track and field fans everywhere! Make concrete plans now, so when the day comes up you won't have to make last minute decisions. The weather was great last year, hopefully this year will be more of the same.

And another genesis song! This is my jam. My parents had this on a 45. lol

tell me its black when I know that its white... :-)