Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Today in as-the-field-trip turns, we learn that once again Hampton Public Schools are once again closed due to inclement weather. When I talked to my son last night he said, "Daddy this is getting ridiculous, I'm ready to go back to school!", and while I admire his fervent admiration for higher education, I don't believe a word of what he says. Apparently that Hampton Roads area is even more ill-equipped to handle snow than the DC area. We got less than four inches of snow last night and EVERY school system is closed in the area, except DC schools. And the only reason they aren't closed is 1)they can't afford to close them and 2)some kids simply will not eat without the school systems being closed. With Mayor Fenty's approval rating falling like Wile E. Coyote , he really cannot afford to anger citizens any more than he already has. I got WAY off topic.

So yesterday, my main man and Hoops Addict editor, Ryan informed me that I have media credentials to cover the NBA All Star game in Dallas next weekend. I am definitely pumped up for this event, but there also numerous little challenges and mini-obstacles to hurdle along the way. First and foremost, this is during Valentine's Day weekend, which means I could possibly be in the doghouse if arrangements are not made to accommodate this day (and they are). Second, I can't bring a photographer with me, like I did to my Kareem interview.. I'll have to buy a camera or a video camera, so I can attempt to capture moments and interview people at the same time. Thirdly, since I learned about these credentials so damn late, I am having a hell of a time trying to find a good hotel with availability. My boss suggested I just find any hotel to stay in, and while I agree with her in principle, I'm am still aiming high. That being said, there's no way in hell I'm missing this, and I will be down there. And someone will cut me a side deal.

I got my This Is It DVD in the mail yesterday and the lady and I watched it, and then I continued to watch 70% of th extra features on my own. You have no idea how much I'm going to wear that thing out..guilt free I might add (that's what he said). And if you haven't purchased it, what the hell are you waiting on? Michael Jackson is dead, and he's not coming back thru that door, so we need to cherish the memories he left..end of commercial.

4 comments:

£ said...

is it just me, or have the schools become total wusses? the weatherperson only has to mention snow -- and the schools are closing. lol

I don't want to go on a "back in my day" tirade, but... back in MY day, unless the weather was extraordinarily bad (MAYbe the blizzard from a few weeks ago) school was open. We might get early dismissal if we were so fortunate. And, is it my imagination or did they insert new holidays and "teacher days" into the school year? The daughter of one of my besties is always off. Maybe I'm just becoming a crotchety old woman. lol

Awesome news about all star... excited to hear about it when you return. :)

Jazzbrew said...

Man.... that is hands down one of my favorite Bugs Bunny clips. I was just talking to someone about it a few weeks ago.

Papier Girl said...

Can you please tell DC to share some of it's snow with NY. I'm missing the snow, and unlike your son, I'd love to get a snow day (I work in the 'burbs, so when it snows 4 inches...we CLOSE!!).

Janelle said...

Don't listen to Chubbs (heyyyy Girl *waving at computer*). Keep that snow to yourself, buddy! That's the Allstate Stand.

And to Lex (heyyyy girl *waving again at the computer*), yes the schools have gotten wussier (I know I made it up). Except here in NYC - the don't close schools for NADA. No one wants to make up those missed days or give up the Jewish holidays *why did I leave teaching again??