Friday, March 05, 2010

I wanted to get into work a little earlier than usual this morning, so I took the train instead of taking my usual 15-20 minutes stroll. Of course, this wasn't just any usual train ride, this was the morning-after-a-major-shooting-at-the-Pentagon last night train ride, which meant things were much different. There was no idle chatter. I mean NONE. Everyone was watching everyone else carefully, and if one person was making too many sudden, quick movements, all eyes were fixated in that direction. Eye contact was also at an all-time high, because usually people are reading the paper, a book, or scrolling through their ipods trying to find the ideal song to drown out the usual background noise of the train. On this morning all eyes on alert.

Now you could just say that I was being paranoid and even more observant because of the events last night, but that would be incorrect. I'm always on the look out for creepy people on the train, and I make it a point to always stand up near the door, so I can observe the behavior of others. And this morning there was definitely a change, as there should have been. But its not just the shooting that has Metro riders frazzled. Its the crashes, the numerous delays, the fare hikes out of the blue, people jumping in front of the trains..all of that. And the sad part part is, not everyone can walk to work everyday like I can. There are some people who cannot drive because parking prices are absurd, so the train is the most convenient option, but clearly its not without its share of headaches as well.

I know every city has their commuter horror stories, so I won't go on about this too long, I just noticed it this morning, and I had to get it off my chest somehow. And I didn't even ride the train anywhere near the Pentagon. My lady's commute takes her right by that area, so I can only imagine what's going on for people over there.

Oh and apparently there is a movie/documentary coming out soon on A Tribe Called Quest. Click here for details

Will You Be Mine - Anita Baker
This song doesn't have jack to do with what I've written, I just forgot it was on my ipod, and it came on while I was in the shower.

2 comments:

Me said...

I just want to say that I truly enjoy reading your blog. That's all. Have a great weekend, Rashad. :)

rashad said...

Why thank you scout, I enjoy yours as well. You have a great wknd as well.