Tuesday, June 22, 2010

As you may or may not know, the title of my blog is Synchronicity, and although that phrase has many definitions and interpretations, there is one in particular that I like. It is the definition that says things happen, occur and exist at the same time during the same time period for some reason. A version of this happened to me yesterday within a seven hour span.

On my day off yesterday around 2pm or so, while I was flipping back and forth between soccer and tennis, I decided to catch up on blogs that I have listed on the right side of my blog. I had a busy weekend, so I was behind, but usually I try to read every one's blog, so I scanned the titles and skimmed the blogs, and I stumbled on this one by my friend Brian. Brian does PR for the Wizards, and just awhile back he was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer., but he fought it, and he is now cancer free. Now, instead of blogging about treatments and pain, he's able to blog about his health and father's day, so it was good to catch up on his blog.

Then around 4pm or so, the Washington Wizards sent out an official email (sent out and drafted by Brian) about an upcoming clinic that would be given in New York City. The NBA is conducting a series of clinic (called NBA FIT) designed to help kids stay in shape and learn the value of health. Joining the kids and the NBA, will be Justin Freelander, who is a 13 year old kid diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. Justin has founded something called Justin's Quest designed to raise and awareness and money.

I read that email, thought it was a good cause, and then I closed it. 10 minutes later my editor sent me an email, asking me to write a brief article for Hoops Addict, and I did so here. We usually write articles strictly about on-the-court activities, so it was nice to switch it up a bit. After I wrote the article, I laid back down on the couch, and resumed my relaxing day.

Then last night around 9:30, my brother called me and told me that a friend of ours who we both went to high school with, had died of brain cancer. He had actually been diagnosed a few years back, but he had been fighting through treatments, and up until I got this phone call, I was under the impression that he was supposed to be in remission. He died yesterday morning and left behind a wife and young child. I wasn't that close to him anymore, but when we were in high school, I was a senior and he was a freshman. And because our names are so similar(his name was Rashaa), when people called his name, I thought they were calling me and vice versa. We would joke around about that all the time, and that's how we got to know each other. I've seen him a few times since I left high school in 1992 but that's it.

So I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do with yesterday's events. I know I'm supposed to appreciate life, my health, my blessings, etc. Beyond that, I'm still thinking about what I should/can/will do.

No comments: