Saturday, August 14, 2010

Just the other day, I took great pride in poking fun at the fact that I was going to work-related function, where Ashford and Simpson were headlining. I thought they were too old and too irrelevant to have such an honor, and most of the people I told about his agreed with me. But now, having spent nearly 45 minutes watching them perform, I have to take it all back.

Maybe it was the rather strong glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon, maybe it was the terrific crabcakes I ate, or maybe it was the festive atmosphere, but Ashford and Simpson absolutely impressed me. They can sing on key, the know how to work the crowd and their band seemed to be up to the challenge of backing them up. Sure there were creepy sexual references that you really don't want to hear from a couple that's well into their 60s, and sure Nick Ashford had the same Billie Jean jacket that MJ wore in Motown 25(with a black sheer shirt on underneath I might ad)..none of that mattered on this night. By the time they started singing "Solid", I was clapping and mouthing the words as if I had written the song.

The downside of the party? When a company has been around or 10 years, and there's only a handful of people who have even been around 8 years (there's been high turnover), you'd think that there would be some kind of recognition, cash prize, or at least 30 seconds of stage time..but it didn't happen, and I was angry about it. I do my job pretty damn well, and a little recognition never hurt anyone..in fact it does quite the opposite. But again, I shall not complain, at least I have a job right?

5 comments:

£ said...

Love Ashford and Simpson. Im not at all THAT familiar with their personal material, but i dig the stuff they wrote for other folks. And of course, i can sing "solid" all day. lol

Its impressive how long they've been together - especially given the industry they're in. And Nick Ashford gives credence to the theory "there's somebody for EVERYbody" lol

Me said...

wait a minute...are you complaining about not getting recognition for being on your job longer than most of your coworkers, or am I reading this entry all wrong? lol
you crack me up, Rashad.

rashad said...

Yes you are reading that correctly scout. It was a 10yr anniversary party, and I wanted a damn shoutout. That's how vain i am.

maxwellsmusze said...

once you get "solid" in your head there's nothing you can do about it...

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised that they gave a great show. I'd gladly pay to see some of the older, seasoned acts over a majority of new artists.
Bwahaha! Sorry you didn't get your five seconds of fame on stage.