Wednesday, September 29, 2010

First off, if you would be so kind as to read my article, that would make me extremely happy.

Second off, I owe a sincere apology to a toddler and his father. This morning, I was busy fiddling with my ipod, trying to find that one last song to listen to before I set foot in my building (I settled on this one) As I was scrolling through the songs on my ipod, I stepped on something, and initially I was just going to keep on walking and not really pay any attention. Then I looked back, and noticed I had stepped on a stuffed animal version of Elmo, and I said, "Oh sh*t!"

Not too far from where I had stepped on Elmo, there a little kid in the stroller who started bawling and bawling loudly. I immediately took off my headphones, went back to pick up the Elmo with my size 13 footprint on his face, and I started cleaning it off and apologizing to the kid and the father. The father kept saying don't worry about it, and he told me that his son had thrown Elmo out of the stroller about two seconds before I stepped on him, but that didn't make me feel any better at all. Still, despite my profuse apologies, that kid would not stop crying, and the father basically told me, "Thanks buddy, but move along".

I put my headphones back on, played the song I had stepped on Elmo to get to, and started walking towards my building, but I swear the cries of that little kid were drowning out my music. I still feel bad about it, and I hope that kid has gotten over it now..knowing kids, he's probably laughing and joking right now. But I do kind of wonder if he sees me on the street again, what will happen: Will he cry when he sees me? Will he vomit on me? Will he say, "Daddy there goes that bad man?" ..these are things that are on my mind right about now

Walkin - Bobby McFerrin

No comments: