Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Everyone keeps asking me if I'm nervous about the wedding on Saturday, and then they seemed a bit taken aback or surprised when I say that I'm not. Right now I'm really too busy finalizing minor details here and there to feel any modicum of nervousness. So I'm not nervous now, but as Yoda would say:


But what I am lacking in the nervousness department, I am more than making up in the lack of concentration area. I'm not really focusing on work, working out, blogging or doing any Wizards-related writing like I should. In fact on Sunday, I agreed to write about that dreadful Wizards/Suns game, but when it came time to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard as it were), I had nothing. I'd write five or six paragraphs, and then think of something wedding-related and totally lose my train of thought. This went on for a good four or five hours, and finally I told my main man Kyle that I had nothing of substance to write (which used to happen to me with my old editor, my main man Ryan).

Kyle said he understood how that can happen, but then he used the Jedi Mind trick on me. He said that as much as he understood that I seemingly had nothing to say, he was sure I was up to the challenge of creating something out of nothing. I read that email and was like, "Who the f**k wrote this email, my dad?" But sure enough, I put my head down, powered thru, stayed at work a bit later, and finished the damn article (which can be seen right here). It isn't the best article I have even written, and I really don't like the way it flows, but I finished it. So thanks Kyle.

I wrote all that to say my mind is all over the place, and I really wish I could take this week off. But I'll be fine. Sorry for all the Star Wars references, but I recently found out that Irvin Kershner, the director of my favorite movie EVER (The Empire Strikes Back), died last week, so I figured I'd pepper in some references.

Also, as I mentioned not too long ago, my main man Michael Wilbon is leaving the Washington Post, and his last column appears in today's paper. If you ever wonder why this man is one of my favorite writers, just read this article.

Scenario (remix) - A Tribe Called Quest featuring L.O.N.S.

1 comment:

Jazzbrew said...

"my favorite movie EVERY (Empire Strikes Back)..."

I was just having a conversation with someone yesterday and I stated the same thing. When Empire came out in theaters my sister and I watched 10 times. I STILL watch it when it comes on television...