Monday, February 07, 2011

So last night I attended Questlove's Super Bowl/Birthday party at a fine establishment that goes by the name of Liv. I usually frown against watching the Super Bowl anywhere but home (especially now that I have my own big screen tv), and I usually DEFINITELY frown against going out on Sunday night when I have to go to work the next day. But I had already bought tickets to this party a long time ago, and the original party date of 1/26 had been postponed due to inclement weather. So my hands were tied...

The first part of the party involved a bunch of folks hanging in the restaurant/lounge area while the Super Bowl was on the big screen. There were some annoying folks here and there, who were loud and clearly knew nothing about football, but for the most part I had a great time. I was rooting for the Packers. I love Mike Tomlin and the way he coaches, but I hate Ben Roethlisberger and some of the other Steelers..they are just so damn smug. So by the Packers winning, I could stick it to them AND Brett Favre who is somewhere pissed that Aaron Rodgers won (despite what he may say publicly).

The second part of the party was in the nightclub area, and this is where the wheels came off. The music Questlove was playing was great, and I appreciate the way he puts plenty of thought behind not only what song he plays, but the songs that come before and after. He's a meticulous music nerd, and I love that about him. But what I DON'T love is how members of the crowd spent more time looking at him and trying to be seen, then they did dancing. He didn't give a flying f**k about anyone but his music, and his girlfriend behind him, yet everyone was dancing, pointing, taking pictures, and trying to be seen...the whole scene was f**king ridiculous.

Then I had this couple by me that was dancing provocatively, off beat and a bit too close to me and the wife. That was more funny than it was annoying, but I still could have done without. There dudes who were travelling in threes looking corny and hungry for female attention. There were women who were more interesting in dancing and talking in a circle, than they were in talking to anyone. And then there were annoying people by the bar, who were blocking people who actually wanted to buy a drink. As I am writing this I realize that I sound like a cranky old man, and that's not what I want to do. The larger point here is that my days of clubbing..even for my main man Questlove, are long gone. I can do jazz clubs, lounges, selected concerts, and occasional bar. A nightclub, particularly on a Sunday night? Those days are over, and I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with is how out of it and tired I am this morning...

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I would have to agree with you. There are times that is gets old, but I so enjoy laughing at people that I will bite my tongue find a seat and enjoy a night out.

Peace, Love and Chocolate
Tiffany

£ said...

I'm with you fam. My days of clubbing are long over. To be honest though, i never really was into the club scene... even when i was young(er) and hitting the clubs was like a rite of passage.

Jazzbrew said...

Reading this entry reminded me of why my clubs days are not only over... they never started. I've never been a club cat. Too many opportunities for me to get pissed off about something.

Sad but true. I'm OK with that.