Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Before a wedding, there are usually two separate parties: one for the bachelor and one for the bachelorette. There is drinking, there may be dancers, there could be a sporting event involved, and maybe even some gifts shared, but both the bride and groom get a chance to do their thing and feel special. The wife and I chose not to have to have those types of parties, but the option was briefly on the table. We have no regrets.

Before a baby is born, this type of congruency simply does not exist and it is troubling to me. Granted, I understand that the mother of the child deserves most of the attention and the bigger party. She needs love, attention, affirmation and most importantly gifts for the baby--especially when the sex of the baby has been determined as it has in our case. Still, I think the man should have some type of baby-related party as well. I'm having a boy, so my boys and the men in my family should throw me something. I should get a dazzling array of cigars, some clothes and diapers with Philadelphia Eagles or Washington Wizards on them, maybe some fancy hats, bedsheets, bottles etc. I know this seems weird or maybe even a bit unconventional, but I think it should happen.

Plus when young Melvin is finally born in January, there will be twice as many helpful gifts for the wife and I--ultimately, isn't that what really matters? I think so. Surely somewhere out there, some man has picked up and ran with this concept...


5 comments:

Sab D said...

Man,I tried to register at Circuit City and Best Buy when my eldest was due. Even the store clerks laughed at me. But I with you man - "it oughta be a damn law!"

Anonymous said...

We strenously request you cease calling our son MELVIN. Its not gonna happen!

Anonymous said...

We strenously request you cease calling our son MELVIN. Its not gonna happen!

Jazzbrew said...

I'm with you man. We had a coed shower but none (I repeat none) of the things I would have liked were present.

If one is thrown for you - get me on the list. Seriously.

Me said...

OMG! Congratulations! I've been away too long. And I sort of agree with you. Traditional baby showers SEEMED to only be for the mother but both parents benefitted from the baby gifts. As both do today. But then the mother is celebrated and doted on at the shower, so it's only right that men continue to hand out cigars and get pats on the back and whatever else you desire for your, um...efforts, lol. So demand that your men friends and family members honor you for your part in this. ;) I wish you both all the best. Tons of blessings and joy.