Friday, May 04, 2012

A couple of months ago my wife looked at me and said that she would NOT allow our son to watch the Wiggles, and at the time I just basically shrugged my shoulders and said whatever. I knew it was something kid-related, and at that time I was in absolute denial about the prospect of having to watch, screen and analyze that type of programming. Of course, a day after that, I found myself knee deep in all kinds of kiddie tv, but I still didn't come across the infamous Wiggles.

But last week I saw these four gentlemen called the Wiggles on my television, and I was deeply disturbed. These four full grown men (I wouldn't be surprised if they were my age) were singing, dancing, and prancing around my television in outfits that looked like rejects from Star Trek's USS Enterprise . I didn't take the time to truly listen to what they were saying, and I DID notice that young Nyles was pretty captivated, and I was disturbed. I figured out instantly what my wife did not like about these gentlemen--they just looked like they were a Chris Hansen visit away from being thrown in jail for unsavory acts. I hate to be cynical, but damn.

And then I found myself wondering what kind of action they get socially. Can you go in a bar and say you're a member of the Wiggles, and get the ladies hot? Or if they are on the other team, do the other men of the ghey, look at them and their profession and think that they are prime catches? I have no idea what their collective salaries are, and maybe if I did, I'd know exactly how they do in the social arena. But still, it is deeply disturbing to know my son may get hooked on them.

2 comments:

Jazzbrew said...

I haven't looked at Wiggles but I'll be sure to keep Henry as far away from them as possible.

The show I can't stand? Spongebob. The voices, singing, music, screaming... I'm itching just thinking about it.

Sab D said...

YO GABBA GABBA!!!! is what you want to steer young Nyles too. Plus, Mos Def and the Roots have been on the show.

The Wiggles never hit it big with my girls. But I have endured BunnyTown, JoJo's Circus, Bear in the Big Blue House and all the Chipmunk movies. But Yo Gabba Gabba was the joint for a long time.

Plus, since he is going to watch the show ad nauseum - by all means go with something cool. Because one day you will randomly start singing songs from the show ... and yeah, the Wiggles would be a bad look for you!