Wednesday, December 16, 2015

My son's fourth birthday party is this Saturday at a kids indoor playground called "Pump It Up". Basically what will happen is the kids (I think 8 of them are coming) will bounce around on a bunch of inflatable devices for about an hour, then they will eat cupcakes, pizza and go home. The whole ordeal should take around two hours, and hopefully Nyles will be appreciative of the efforts of his parents (mainly my wife).

The past few years Nyles' birthday party has been at his in-laws house, and he's been surrounded my friends and family. He really wasn't cognizant of what a party was and how important they are in order for little boys and girls to survive. Since his third birthday, he's been to at least five parties, and he has seen first-hand how much joy these glorious parties bring the faces of his peer group, and he is on board. He's been talking about his birthday and an accompanying party all damn year, and even when my wife and I tell him his party is forthcoming soon, that still isn't soon enough. He's money, he's ready to party, and he's all growns up:



Anyway, I have decided to put together a playlist for this Saturday's party. Sadly, I cannot play this list while the kids are playing around, but I can play it during the cake/cupcake/food portion of the afternoon. I have made many playlists during my day, and there are many different types. Sometimes I make lists for people because I want to put them on to the type of music I listen, I've made playlists to impress people with my musical taste, and I have made running playlists to help me stay angry while I run. For young Nyles playlist, I had to forget about the songs I know and love, and strictly put the songs on he likes. Here is the list:

Kendrick Lamar - Alright (the clean version): Nyles doesn't understand the lyrics, but he sings the shit out of the chorus which is enough for me right now.

Pharrell - Happy: Remember how "Nuthin But A G Thang" was THE party anthem in 1993? That's how "Happy" is for kiddie parties. Your party simply is not credible without this song in the rotation.

Fun Fun Fun and Despicable Me from the movie Despicable Me 2: If you've seen the movie, you understand how catchy these songs are. If not, don't click on the link. Save yourself.

Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae): I have no comment except to say my son likes it

Doobie Brothers - Minute by Minute: My son loves the chorus and he frequently sings it in the tub

Michael Jackson - Human Nature/Smooth Criminal: Kids love MJ, which is weird to type, but it is true

Foreign Exchange - Asking for a Friend: He likes the house beat and the repetition of the word "Work" at the beginning of the song

Vince Guaraldi Trio - Linus and Lucy/Christmas Time is Here: Seasonal songs that Nyles loves are a must

Drake - Hotline Bling: Again, no comment

In Summer/Let it Go/Do You Wanna Build a Snowman from the movie Frozen: See my comments about Happy

Oh Cecilia (You're Breaking My Heart): This is a song that my song learned in music class at school. The lyrics are a little mature for 3-4 year olds, but it's catchy as hell.

We'll see how this party goes on Saturday.


No comments: