Saturday, April 04, 2020

For years I have had a love-hate relationship with my college (Hampton University) homecoming. Leading up to the homecoming, I always get excited about the flyers, the banter, the prospect of seeing old friends and professors, the parties, and most importantly, walking around campus with my son, showing him all the places where I'd hang out and be anti-social.

And then a couple of days before this bless-ed homecoming event began, I would chicken out and ultimately decide to stay my ass at home. I think if I possessed the ability to overcome my social anxiety via meditation (and alcohol), I'd actually have a pleasant time. But ultimately, I think I'd be annoyed at having to answer questions like "So what's been up?", "Where are you living now?", "Do you still talk to [insert name]?". I'd much prefer to stay at home, look at the vast number of Facebook pages dedicated to post-homecoming pictures, and repeat the whole cycle next year.

However, about 3 hours ago, I found a happy medium.

No it isn't homecoming season and even if it was the C-word has everyone stuck in the house looking, feeling and smelling crazy. But at noon today, my main man DJ Precise, who lived across the hall from my freshman year, did an Instagram DJ set for Hampton University folks. Initially I was going to pass on watching/attending, because I've grown a bit weary of all these DJs throwing 2-3 hours Instagram parties--I don't party that much when I'm "free", and I'm not about to start now. But I shaved my head for the first time this morning, and I was feeling good and rebellious so I decided to listen in on DJ Precise's set. And it was delightful.

He started off with Run DMC's "Here We Go" and from there he took me on a nostalgic musical trip on music made between 1991 and 1996. I laughed, I smiled, I made my son and wife listen at moments, and for a an hour or two I totally forgot about the direct and indirect consequences of the C-word.

But the most important takeaway from that DJ set is that I "interacted" with my fellow Hamptonians. Sometimes we both reminisced and recited lyrics to a good ass song, or maybe that person just said "What's up @rashad2075?" and I'd return the favor by saying hello. I felt connected to everyone and it was good to do some light interaction without having to answer dumb questions or feel trapped in a conversation that was on the road to nowhere. I received all the fulfillment of being social without doing the heavy lifting, and given all that bad news that's been thrown in my face as of late, I'm counting this newfound revelation as a big "W".

1 comment:

TiffanyInHouston said...

Sent you a follow request on IG! Good to see you writing!