Sunday, April 05, 2020

I'm starting to feel increasingly paranoid about going outside even with stellar social distancing techniques, a mask and a pair of gloves. That paranoia is keeping me from doing my five-mile run every other day, and that---combined with me being unable to swim--has left me pretty depressed and unmotivated in the workout department. I've adjusted my diet and the portions of food I consume on a daily basis, but sadly, the amount of wine I've consumed over the past several weeks has me breaking even in the weight loss department. But I think I have found a solution.

The lack of sports on the television right now, has forced me to become considerably more resourceful when it comes to fulfilling that sports fix. As a result, I have taking a shine to YouTubing old Floyd Mayweather boxing matches. I get that Floyd has had (and maybe still does) serious problems in the domestic violence department, and I think it goes without saying that I don't at all condone that type of bullshit behavior. Having said that, Floyd is a genius in the boxing ring, and in these sports-less times it gives me great pleasure to re-watch and dissect his old fights. So what does this have to do with me working out? Allow me to share...

My quarantine workouts now consists me of me jumping rope while watching Floyd's fights---most of which are 12 rounds (3 minutes for each round). I jump rope for three minutes straight, and then when the fighters take a one-minute break between rounds for water, I do the same. At first, I had serious concerns about whether or not that workout would be a sufficient replacement for my usual running/swimming combination, and if I'm being realistic, it really isn't. But considering how sore my arms, shoulders, neck and core muscles are, I'd say that this workout is no slouch---especially if it also assuages my paranoia about lingering outside too long. If I were a bit more of an exhibitionist, I'd go on Facebook/IG live while I did this workout...but I'm not quite that confident yet. But after another month or two quarantine? Who knows...

No comments: