Sunday, May 12, 2013

Goin Out Of My Head - Wes Montgomery

My father had quite a few of Wes Montgomery's records, but I never heard this particular one before today. After doing a little research, I read that this album was criticized for being more big band, than traditional jazz, but after listening to this album twice, I don't think the criticism is warranted. There are elements of big band, but it is clear that Wes was still firmly rooted in jazz when he recorded this. It is a very mellow album though. My favorite song is "End of a Love Affair":

1 comment:

Jazzbrew said...

Great album. Love Wes... a lot of his albums caught flack for being commercial which basically meant it was well received by the public. I'm not mad at Wes for giving the people what they wanted... especially if he enjoyed playing it.