Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I do a lot of complaining, bitching and moaning on this blog, and those of you who know me relatively well, understand that some of it is real, and some of it is tongue-in-cheek. Every now and then I write about serious, but I try to keep things light-hearted, because again, that's who I am most of the time. Consider this an every now and then situation.

I have gotten the chance to meet many people since I started covering the Washington Wizards, and one of them is named Brian. The first day I strolled into the Verizon Center this past summer, I was completely clueless about where to go, who to talk to, where the practice court was, and all that. Brian was the first person I saw, and he sensed that I was clueless, and he pointed me in the right direction, and struck up a friendly conversation with me, and I always appreciated that. Many times PR people in his position are antagonistic a-holes, and Brian was/is nothing of the sort. Since that initial meeting I've seen Brian here and there, and he'll say what's up, or we'll just head nod each other. We don't know each other well enough to have an extensive conversation, which is fine by me.

A few weeks ago I saw Brian, and I noticed he was wearing a hat, and underneath the hat, I noticed that he was completely bald. I figured that he either lost a bet, or he possibly had cancer, but I never really put two and two together. I'm so focused on getting interviews, writing my game notes, and looking like I know what i'm doing when I get to a Wizards game, that I barely paid attention to the reasons surrounding Brian's change in appearance. But last night while I was whipping my lady's monkey ass again in Scrabble, I googled Brian's name and came across his blog, and learned that Brian did indeed have glioblastoma multiforme, or GBM, which is the most aggressive form of brain cancer.

Brian has been chronicling his fight on his blog, and I can honestly say that is extremely humbling for me to read this man's fight with something so serious at just 29 years of age. I realize reading something like that could be depressing, but I found it to be quite inspirational, which is why I'm dedicating a few paragraphs in my blog to mention it. I'm not going to say my blog is unimportant and pointless next to his, because every one's voice needs to be heard in some shape, form or fashion (plus I'm competitive). But I will say that if you get a chance, you should check out Brian's blog.

Set Adrift on Memory Bliss - PM Dawn

No comments: