Friday, May 01, 2009

So just like I predicted, I was nervous the entire day yesterday. I had a training to conduct at my job, and usually those make me a bit nervous, but I breezed right through it in less than an hour in a confident manner. As soon as I got back to my desk, I started stressing about the radio appearance once again. Since I was going to be speaking about the NBA playoffs on the radio, I printed out at least 3 pages of information about the ongoing first round series, as well as the ones that were to be played in the second round. I tried to avoid reading the opinions of others, because I damn sure didn't want to get on the air, and start regurgitating someone else's thoughts and views. So as you might imagine, I was a nervous wreck at my desk.

Then after awhile, I decided that I was over preparing, so I ceased stressing about the information portion of my appearance, and I turned all of my paranoia to how my voice would sound. I have this habit of reverting to raspy, gravelly Allen Iverson like voice that sounds creepy and anything but sexy. What the hell was I going to do alleviate that? I also was worried that my nervousness would cause me to blurt out an unfunny joke or maybe even an expletive or two, which would certainly get me banned from that radio program.

Anyway, after work, I made that relaxing 15-20 minute walk home, I poured a half a glass of wine, kissed my lady, and went back in the bedroom with my laptop, my phone and my paranoia. Oddly enough, while I was watching tv, I saw the famous DAMN DAMN DAMN Good Times episode for the FIRST time. Yes the FIRST time. I found myself getting a little emotional watching Ester Rolle flex her acting chops, and then I caught myself and said, "What the hell am I doing?", I need to be in a basketball state of mind. 5 minutes later, I got THE call, I turned off the tv, started pacing around the room, and I proceeded to do the radio program. I still haven't listened to it, but I'm sure I will at some point today. But if you'd like to, here it is.

No comments: