Saturday, September 26, 2009

So yesterday around 3pm, I started getting chills at work. I couldn't figure out whether it was related to the falling temperatures or the fact that the AC in my office was coming out of the vents full blast, but I knew something was off. I rarely get cold, and even in the dead of winter, I keep the fan on me, because I can never get the heat set at the right temperature. So for me to have chills when its only in the mid 60s outside was peculiar. So before I walked home from work, I stopped at Starbucks, got me a Caramel Apple Cider, and let that warm me up. By the time I came through the doors of my apartment, I felt better. Or so I thought...

Over the next 4 hours, I just felt terrible. My temperature went up to 100.7, and I felt cold, and then it would go back down to 98.6, and I felt hot. I didn't have a sore throat, a runny nose, a cough, nausea, or any of those other typical flu symptoms, I was just sleepy and trapped in that hot/cold cycle. Still, instantly I got paranoid that the swine flu had found its way into my body. My lady gave me some alka seltzer to help with the fever, and for the next couple of hours, nothing improved. Finally, about 11pm, I just took my ass to bed hoping everything would go away. I normally sleep in the nude (thank me later for the visual), but last night I slept with a t shirt and sweatpants. Whatever was wrong with me, I wanted it out of my body, and I was sure that I could sweat it out. And I was right.

This morning I feel like my normal healthy self, although I am trying to be cautious with my actions. Still, I cannot believe how paranoid I was that the swine flu had gotten a hold of me. I haven't gotten a flu shot since the 80s, and the thought of getting a swine flu vaccine (which will probably come out the same time D'Angelo next cd comes out) is very scary for me. But I can't be paranoid when I get sick, holding my chest like Redd Foxx, wondering if this is the big one. Does anyone else have this phobia or is it just me?

1 comment:

Jazzbrew said...

"a swine flu vaccine (which will probably come out the same time D'Angelo next cd comes out)"

One of your best lines ever my friend...

Yes, I am super paranoid. I got something two weeks ago and it took me a week to shake it. Before that happened I was washing my hands more than usual, kept hand sanitizer at my desk AND moved on the train if someone appeared to be sick...