Monday, October 18, 2010

This past Saturday, my son, my main man Sabin and I went to the Hampton/Norfolk State football game in Hampton, VA. I can't begin to tell you how happy I was to have my college roommate on one side of me, and my son on the other. I'm sure I bored my son with stories of my college behavior, but it could not have been more boring than the actual game, the final score was 7-6. Still I had a great time, and its definitely something we all need to do again.

While we were at the game, Sabin and I saw various people who we either definitely knew from when we were in school or looked vaguely familiar. But there was this one gentleman who stuck out more than the others. I don't remember his real name, but in school we called him Sadat X because he looked like the guy from Brand Nubian. Back when we were in school, Sadat was probably about 180-190lbs or so..definitely not overweight. But on Saturday when I saw he and his ladyfriend walk by, things had definitely changed.

Now let me preface this by saying we all put on a bit of weight as we get older. When I was in college, I weighed about 150lbs, but I was built like a little boy, so I had room to grow--still I understand how the weight gain with age game works. BUT, Sadat X looked like he was EASILY pushing 300lbs, and if Sabin hadn't pointed him out to me, I wouldn't have even recognized him. It was kind of sad seeing the brother like that because a)it made me feel old and b)knowing what I know about how important men's health is in the mid-to-late 30s, he's making things difficult for himself. I had a rough week last week between work and Washington Wizards stuff, so I didn't work out at all, and I felt guilty. But seeing Sadat just motivated me even more to get back at it..

And finally my son's hair looks terrible, and I don't care if he and his mother want cornrows, I'm cutting it off the next time I go down there. He looks like Ice Cube did in 1993, except my son's hair is way more unruly...I can't take it anymore.

Sadat X - The Lump Lump

No comments: