Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Thanks to this virus, millions of people--who aren't essential personnel--have been forced to figure out how to conduct their jobs from their homes/apartments/trailers. However, I have been working from home since October of last year. Space for contractors is limited at my job and the solution was to make us work from home four out of five days a week (my one day to go in used to Wednesday).

Initially doing all that work from home felt a bit odd. I didn't know whether I should continue exercising early in the morning, or just work it into my lunch break. When i was away from my computer I was eternally paranoid that the little green light that indicated I was "on" at work would be yellow for too long and my bosses would think I was slacking. I did enjoy the ability to cook while working, wash clothes while being in meetings, and chill outside on my balcony while trying to write manuals/SOPs. I still enjoy those things even though my wife and son have now joined me.

But the biggest thing I enjoyed about working from home was how quiet it would be around 7am. My wife and son would be sleep, there would be some light commotion outside which signified the embryonic stages of daily rush hour, but for the most part it was quiet save for birds chirping or a mentally ill homeless person working out their demons audibly. Well ladies and gentlemen, I am here to tell you that those quiet moments have been violently ripped away from me.

The past month or so, I have noticed that a series of crows--big, black ass crows to be specific--have taken over my quiet morning time. I don't know whether they are picking up on dearth of foot traffic, or they are just doing a temporary internship/residency here in downtown DC, but every morning they "serenade" me with a cacophony of angry chirps. Plus, the few times I was bold enough to stand out on my balcony for some early morning fresh air, they flew quite close to me, and they had ZERO fear like some of their smaller bird friends have had towards me in the past. It was terrifying. Even as I type this blog, three crows have perched their entitled feet on my balcony and looked directly into my apartment as if to say, "Yeah, we know you're talking about us!".

I've read that the air quality all around the world has improved as a result of these mass quarantines, but I've yet to read anything about the altered behavior of animals...specifically birds....more specifically angry ass black ass crows. Perhaps I should do some research...

No comments: