Monday, June 08, 2009

So I'm walking into work this morning, on a fairly busy sidewalk, when I noticed this gentleman in front of me smoking. Normally when someone is smoking on the sidewalk, I turn on the jets, and maneuver myself right by them. I find cigarette smoke pretty disgusting for the most part, but for some reason its even more disgusting at 8 in the morning. Cigars are fine in the afternoon or evening, but they make me nauseous (why isn't this word spelled "nautious") in the morning as well. I can take the smell of pipes any time, any place...

Anyway, as I am getting ready to move around the smoking gentleman, I get a better whiff of what it is he is smoking, and I realize that is not simply a cigarette. I take a deep second whiff, and I realize that what we have here is a Dr. Dre situation. Instead of zooming past this gentleman, I slowed down my walk, adjusted the headphones to my ipod, and proceeded to enjoy the moment for however long it lasted..which turned about to be about 7 minutes before we went in different directions. I was pretty effing amazed that this guy did not care that the sidewalk was crowded, cops on bike and and on foot were around, and someone easily could have snatched him up and arrested him. He was not homeless, disheveled or anything. He was dressed in business casual attire, he too had on an ipod, and oh by the way, he was getting lifted.

I noticed a couple people would walk by him, do a double take, and then have this look on their face that said, "Was he...did I just smell..hell I smelled..." It was a priceless moment, and I am so glad I could be a part of it. I don't condone his behavior or that act in general, but damn if it add a little moxie to an otherwise mundane Monday morning.

Oh and a brief update..I'm one step closer to interviewing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I can't say much on it right now, but stay tuned.

No comments: