Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The love affair is over.

Last February, I wrote this blog entry where I declared my undying love for Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap. I had abandoned it for a few years, but when I saw Devin Harris of the New Jersey Nets using in the locker room after a Wizards game, I decided to jump back on the bandwagon. Since last February, I would say that I have used the soap 90% of the time (the other 10% of time I use this soap from the Grooming Lounge) with great results. The soap makes you feel clean, a little goes a long way, and I cannot stress enough how good it feels on the least the male ones, I don't know how Dr. Bronner's jives with the female equipment.

But lately the soap has turned on me. I guess the combination of the frigid temperatures and my frequent contact with chlorine (swimming has) my skin is dry all the time, and I suspect the Dr. Bronner's is the culprit. I don't remember this happening last year, but that's probably because I started using it in late February when the weather was starting to take a warm turn. This winter season in DC, we have endured a series of sub freezing temps that quite frankly would wreak havoc on any one's skin..Dr. Bronner's or not. But my skin in particular is taking a beating. I shower, I moisturize, and all that, but I still seem to be a tad bit too far on the ashy side for my taste.

As a result, I may have to put the tingly soap aside until we at least get 50 degree temperatures. Or my friend Faye can hurry up and send me her alleged anti-ash Rum and Cake products that can overpower the chlorine, the frigid temps, and the Dr. Bronner's. Whatever the solution is, I need it ASAP, because yesterday when I took my clothes off at the gym prior to getting in the pool, I was flat out embarrassed at the dryness of my skin. Luckily for me, no pervs were around to witness this tragedy.

The song/video below came out my freshman of college (1992) which is yet another reminder that I'm old(er). Biggie is dead, SuperCat hasn't been relevant since this video shoot wrapped up, and Puffy no longer tries to rap like he's the honorary fifth member of Onyx.


Jazzbrew said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only man to battle the ash monster. I looked like a piece of chicken ready to go in the fryer this morning. My ash laughs at lotion. I have to put it on like coats of paint to get any type of results.

£ said...

1. don't be ashy
2. moisturize your situation
3. preserve your sexy!

get rum and cake on the horn immediately, and in the mean time invest in some shea butter. unrefined, if possible. its boho, but its a great emollient. keeps the ashies away with the added benefit of naturally occuring vitamins E and A. Since your skin is also your biggest organ and the body's first line of defense, that is just an extra boon. Plus its just esthetically pleasing. lol

£ said...

oops. i forgot to mention that if you do get the unrefined shea, be aware of its nutty scent. (pause) it doesn't last, but it is an acquired taste. (smell?) so if you're not down with smelling like neo soul, go old school and get some vaseline. lol