Monday, June 13, 2011

I can't tell you (although I'll try) how happy I was to see the Dallas Mavericks defeat the Miami Heat last night for the NBA Championship. I don't particularly like owner Mark Cuban, no one on the Mavericks particularly tickles my fancy, and I don't dislike Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh (ok maybe a little) or anyone on the Heat squad--except for LeBron James. And THAT is why I was so damn happy.

You see I don't dislike LeBron because of his decision to move to Miami (although the way he did it it was pompous), because I would love to re-locate down there. I don't care that he didn't win in Cleveland or that he joined Wade and Bosh to win a title, because again that's his choice. I dislike Mr. James for one reason and one reason only, and that's because he knocked my Wizards out of the playoffs two years in a row (2006 and 2007). I really thought the Wizards would win the title those two years, and LeBron flexed his muscles and rained all over my team's chances. In fact my editor wrote about this very issue last week.

So when I saw Mr. James struggling with his shot and his confidence, I was so damn happy. Next year, he'll come back and absolutely destroy the NBA, and he and the Heat will win the title, but until that magical, mystical day, I will enjoy his temporary misery. And if that makes me a "hater", then I'll be that.

By the way, I went to see Mint Condition in concert for the first time this weekend, and they blew me away. You should buy their new cd, and go see them perform if you can.

1 comment:

Jazzbrew said...

I'm late on this one but it made me EXTREMELY happy as well. My mother told me never to celebrate someone else's ill fortune but I can't help it.

Speaking of mothers - can you believe my Mom was cheering for the Heat?? I used to think she was the ultimate Wizards fan. I didn't call or talk to her until the Heat were defeated.

Damn... I AM the Ambassador of Petty.