Sunday, October 28, 2007

I can't stand divorce and its fallout. My parents have been divorced for 13 years, and it still annoys the shit out of me. I have to decide whether to spend Thanksgiving with my father in Baltimore, or my mother in North Carolina. The guilt trip on my mother's end will be much stronger, especially since she is all alone in a city she's only been living in since August..but damn if that plane ticket down there isn't expensive. And on top of that, getting on a plane during a holiday weekend is a bitch with a g-string. My father plays the passive-aggressive role to perfection, and he acts like me visiting him is no big deal. My brother and I used to cut deals as to who would visit who, but now he's married with child, and his own family takes precedence, and justifiably so. But there is something completely unnatural about having to choose one parent, and then assuage the other. I hear folks saying to me all the time, at least you have your parents, and they are absolutely right to a certain point. I am eternally grateful that my parents are still living, but that doesn't mean that I don't get annoyed at these charades I have to go through each and every holiday season. Honestly? I hope my son's mother lightens the hell up and lets me see my son, so I can just stay home and hang with him. Realistically speaking? I'll be in North Carolina with my mother praising the Lord and eating well, like a good first son should.

The other reason I hate the fallout from divorce? I don't have a "home" where I can go see my parents. "Home" is usually split between two states. Again, I know for a fact that there are folks reading this who have lost a parent, so this rant probably falls on deaf ears(or blind eyes as it were), but still this type of thing is all relative..at least that's what my therapist used to say.

How Deep Is Your Love - Dru Hill featuring Redman

No comments: