Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I am sitting in the CVS this morning, buying more of my dog food, when the song "Hip Hop" by Dead Prez comes blaring through my tiny ipod speakers with family friendly lyrics like:
"Who shot Biggie Smalls, if we don't get them, they gon' get us all
I'm down for running up on the crackas up in they City Hall"

Now I've mouthed those lyrics so many times over the 8 years that song has been out, its really no big deal to me. But when you are in store full of older black and white people, suddenly you become conscious of the lyrics you are rapping, mouthing and listening to. So instead of saying the words with faux anger, I just listened and smiled at the folks around me. That is what distinguishes me from kids 10-15 years my junior who walk around doing stuff like this:



I won't go into too much detail about that now famous New Yorker cover, because its not worth it. But I WILL mention that, it would have been way more funny to me, if the New Yorker had that exact same cover with McCain and his wife. I'm mildly offended at the current cover because of the racial element, but I am MORE offended as an aspiring comedian/satirist. The writers and editors at that paper went for the easy laugh, instead of digging deeper for something truly funny, yet still charged. McCain and his wife on the cover would have achieved that, plus it would have been totally unexpected. If I knew how to navigate photo shop, I'd make my own cover.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i found myself mouthing "fuck the world don't ask me for shit." twasnt pleasant when people were reading my lips.